Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stroke With Me

Alexander's Stroke With Me update: 2 weeks on!

A couple of weeks ago, I had three strokes. Two were very small ones in the white matter (sod you, Poirot), but one was a bit of a larger bleed in the brainstem. The latter was cause for considerable concern, but has not bled further (yay!), however over the following two days I had half a dozen or so more tiny strokes which have been a bit of a mystery.

The mystery has lain in the apparent lack of a reason why a 40-year-old should have multiple strokes like this. 

The excellent doctors have spent upwards of a million bucks trying to figure it out, to no avail, but do now know that my heart is in fine shape, I don't have cancer of the guts or nuts, nor an unusual Herpes variant or HIV. Much of which I could have told them for free. Still, I suppose one must get spinal tap practice where you can!


In all this I have been epically lucky: first, B--- was still home when my little adventure began. Second, while I am still waiting for super-powers to emerge, B---'s have just been revealed: he's been a total hero.

Third, while it's impossible to deny that there has been some nerve damage, apart from a bit of facial paralysis, it all seems to be fine motor control, which has improved daily.

Finally, I have had many calls and visits and bananas and much tea from friends and family, which have all been remarkably therapeutic.
Next stop is rehab, once the insurance cones through, which is a little bit of a concern, but I remain sure that all wil be well

- Alexander

(It took most of the day to write this Google+ post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say what you're thinking, be excellent to each other, assume the best in other people, and just don't be a dick!