Thursday, October 9, 2014

S.H.I.E.L.D. has brain damage

Last night I watched the first few episodes of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. One of the characters, Fitz, has brain damage now, and it is, for me, one of the best written and acted rôles of the season.

He has frontal lobe damage that manifests as an inability to find words, and match words to ideas. For a character who is verbal, intelligent, and uses verbalization to trigger problem-solving, his affliction is crushing.

People around him treat him with kid gloves at best, and at worst as a fool only kept on out of charity. He is more frustrated than anyone at his own disabilities, but remains the intelligent person he was.

Perhaps I am projecting a little, but it is very well done, if y'ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say what you're thinking, be excellent to each other, assume the best in other people, and just don't be a dick!